Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Vegetable Stew

Fall is finally here and I couldn't be more excited! I'm not one of those people who mourn the end of summer. Once September 1st hits, I'm in full fall mood. I love the leaves changing, boots, crisp days, pumpkins, cider mills, basically everything that fall stands for. This weekend we had our first real, chilly fall day here. I woke up cocooned in my comforter, realized I was chilly because my windows were open. Next thing I was out of bed and running to the store because fall means it's officially soup/stew time! 
One of my favorite meals for as long as I can remember is my Mom's "hamburger stew". Now that I'm a vegetarian, I've modified it a bit but that's the brilliant thing about it - it's so simple that any little adjustment you do, won't ruin it so you can try new things and have fun.

Here's what you need:
- Veggies (I chose carrots, green beens, and soycutsch)
- Potatoes (redskin is really good but I went for a healthier option with a sweet potato)
- Onion
- Ground round or an equivalent 
- Low sodium V8 juice

1. Sauté your meat (I used two cut up Bocca grillers)
2. Put your V8 in a pot over low heat
3. Add your onions, potatoes and meat 

4. Let it cook for about 10 minutes then add your veggies 


You'll have some extra time while you let everything cook but don't forget to stir it every minute or so. I took full advantage to completely scrub down my apartment. Check that out! 



To judge if it's done, taste one of the potatoes. You don't want it too soft but you also, obviously, don't want it firm enough to break your teeth. Pour it into a bowl and eat it hot. 


 It's a great meal to take to lunch or you can throw it in the freezer for later. 



I'm so happy it's officially soup time. If anyone has any good recipes to share, I'd love you forever!

As always you can follow me on Insta (here)
Bloglovin - here
Twitter - here
Tumblr - here 
Pinterest - here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...